Pages

February 24, 2009

Building Strength through Support


As Alina Popescu celebrates the 4th year anniversary of her blog by hosting a Blogging and Relationships writing project, I celebrate my 10th post by writing about the people in blogland that have helped me reach this milestone.

I first started my photoblog back in September 2006. My first post was my last post as well. I gave up because I didn't have any confidence in myself to believe that I could write well, contribute, make a difference by voicing my thoughts.

Two years later, in October 2008, a friend sent me a link to the Lauren Luke site on youtube. I was astounded, not because of her ability to do make-up tutorials very well( which she does amazingly well, by the way), but because of her courage and perseverance in pursuing her dream. I have an entire post on this, so I won't go into the details. The long and short of this is, Lauren Luke inspired me to restart my blog.


This time I didn't want to take on this task single-handed. I looked for resources on the web - resources that provided writing tips, encouraging words, inspiring stories, confidence building and the occasional kick-in-the-butt that I needed to move forward. I call them my online support group. These are a few of the authors from whom I've acquired a wealth of knowledge.


Sara, at
OnSimplicity, writes such insightful posts that make me reassess what I already knew. Her writing makes me rethink what I believe of myself and helps change my negative perceptions.

BZ Riger at the
Art of Allowing Mindset inspires me with her spirited attitude towards success.

Melissa Donovan's writing tips, ideas, and suggestions, in her blog Writing Forward, encourages me to write even when the muse is not present.

I find information on social media, and tools to promote blogs, on John Welsh's blog,
These Digital Times.

And, of course, I have to include Joanna Young, of Confident Writing whose blog was among the first ones that I subscribed. I draw tremendous inspiration from her posts.

Though I've not had much personal interaction with these blog authors, I've learned a lot about, not just, how to write better but also how to be more self-assured and not stay in my comfort zone, with respect to writing as well as life.


I realize that I'm still new to the blogosphere and there will be changes and improvements as I continue to write. There will be moments of bleakness when I see no comments on my posts. But I take strength in knowing that it will not always be so. This time around, I have a wonderful support system that makes this journey so much more enjoyable and fulfilling.

(photo credit: stock.xchng)

3 comments:

  1. Nithya, deciding to start again shows great courage. You've had help and advice from awesome bloggers, judging by those you've mentioned.

    Yes, it is hard to see posts with no comments, especially when you treasure the input of others. But that's not abnormal for a rather new blog.

    And never forget the rule of reciprocity: whenever you want something, go out and do it yourself :)

    Thank you so much for joining the Group Writing Project! Good luck to you and keep in touch!

    Recent blog post: WoBM Anniversary Contest - Final Countdown

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alina, It's been great so far. I've been energized and charged with all the connections I've been making through my blog and the positive changes in my attitude towards everything I do.
    Thank you for your encouraging words.

    Recent blog post: Building Strength through Support

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nithya, thanks so much for your kinds words! I love getting to know my readers better, and learning about how the blog helps people like you to write with confidence. That's part of what allows me to keep on blogging - even when it's a struggle to do so, like you say

    Good luck with your blogging

    Recent blog post: 10 Things I’ve Learned About Writing and Tenacity

    ReplyDelete

If you liked reading this post, please leave a comment.